Thursday 12 November 2009

VOR: Ericsson Skipper Wins Sailing's Highest Accolade


Torben Grael with HRH Prince Frederik of Denmark and Lionel Schurh, Rolex Geneva. Image copyright Rolex/Daniel Forster.

by Victoria Low

Torben Grael, the skipper of Ericsson 4, the race winning entry in the Volvo Ocean Race 2008/09, has been named the ISAF Rolex World Sailor of the Year.

The ISAF Rolex World Sailor of the Year Award is the highest award a sailor can receive in recognition of his outstanding achievements. The Awards are presented annually based on a worldwide selection process that incorporates an open invitation to nominations, followed by a vote amongst the 130 member nations of the International Sailing Federation (ISAF).

In an emotional winning speech, Torben commented, "It's an honor to be here. It's not the first time I've attended this award ceremony, but it's truly a different feeling to stand here," he said, from behind the podium. "I am very thankful, and to be here I represent not only myself but all the people who helped me run my campaigns: the sailors, my family, my parents, my wife, the company Ericsson. It has been a fantastic year and it was a fantastic [Volvo Ocean] Race. This year has made me aware of some feelings I am not used to."

This was the fourth time that the five-time Olympic medalist had been nominated for the ISAF Rolex World Sailor of the Year Award and winning the award is the icing on the cake on an impressive year for the Brazilian:

"Ericsson 4 not only won the 08/09 Volvo Ocean Race and broke the world 24 hour monohull record on the way, almost reaching the 600 mile barrier. But I was also runner up at the Rolex Ilhabela Sailing Week, Cowes Week, the Rolex Fastnet Race and finished third at the Rolex Maxi Worlds in Porto Cervo," he added.

The Trophy was presented to Torben by HRH Prince Frederik of Denmark and Lionel Schurh, Rolex Geneva at a spectacular Awards Ceremony at Busan in South Korea.

Ericsson Racing Team
ISAF Rolex World Sailor Awards

No comments: