Tuesday 14 September 2010

Laser Masters Worlds: Big Breezes for the Opening Day

Kiwis on top in the Radial Apprentice and Radial Great Grand Masters


The fleet racing. Image copyright Paul Wyeth/RYA.

by Andi Robertson

After delivering a week of unbroken sunshine and pleasant light to moderate sea-breezes for the Laser Standards World Championships which finished eight days ago on the same waters with an impressive overall victory for Australia’s Tom Slingsby, today Hayling Bay presented version 2.0 of English summer when more than 350 sailors from 30 different countries contested the first pair of races of the 2010 Laser Masters World Championships.

Under grey skies which threatened rain and offered regular showers of drizzle, solid WSW’ly winds which gusted to over 22 knots during the second race, and big Hayling waves which proved the perfect downhill run for those practitioners with polished technique and solid nerves, but it was all too easy to be slightly psyched out by the opening day waves weather.

Those who had been looking for a gentle introduction to Hayling Island, a sunny reprise of the Standard Worlds, would have been disappointed.

The muscular conditions certainly challenged fitness and stamina from the outset but also contributed to the early onset of aches and pains, not to mention a few broken spars and fractured egos.


Standard Apprentice Masters: currently 2nd, Brett Beyer (AUS). Image copyright Paul Wyeth/RYA.

For sure it was those who felt at home, or were at home in the conditions who excelled across the first two contests of the scheduled 12 race series, on both the Laser Radial and the Laser Standard course areas.

Greece’s defending Standard Apprentice Masters champion Adonis Bougiouris may have complained of the chill today, for him more akin to cool winters around his native Syros island by Mykonos, but not only was he within his preferred wind range - the former Laser Radial world champion grew up sailing in the 15-20 knots Meltemi - but is fully attuned to the race track. He set himself up perfectly to peak here after competing here at the Laser Standard Worlds, where he finished 33rd overall.

Bougiouris, who represented Greece at the 2000 Olympics, opened with a perfect pair of victories, twice holding off Australia’s four times champion Brett Beyer who lies second.


Standard Apprentice Masters: 5th at present, Chris Gowers (GBR) - coach to Paul Goodison. Image copyright Paul Wyeth/RYA.

Britain’s Chris Gowers, coach to Olympic and 2009 world and European champion Paul Goodison, proved he is no slouch with a consistent 5th and 6th to lie fifth.

In the Radial Apprentice Masers fleet, Auckland’s Scott Leith (NZL), who finished second in Halifax last year was perhaps drawing on his Scots ancestry to deal with cool weather, but he admitted that he is fully fired up by the performance of his Kiwi compatriots who did so well here at the Standard Worlds, not least the bronze medal of Andrew Murdoch who helps Leith out from time to time with advice.
He opened his title challenge today with a first in Race 1, then chose to settle for second, keeping upright on the final dicey run, rather than push too hard. He leads by one point from France’s Jean-Christophe Leydet who won the second race.

And feeling firmly at home on waters he knows very well, local ace Steve Cockerill, also made the ideal start to his title challenge at his tenth Laser Masters worlds, returning to the Radial fleet this year, winning the Standard Masters’ first race by around 90 seconds in the first race and a considerable distance in the second heat. Brasil’s Carlos Eduardo Wanderley, from Sao Paolo, who finished runner-up last year, is looking for some lighter breezes and flatter water if he is to reign in Cockerill.


Arnoud Hummel (NED) leads the Standard Masters. Image copyright Paul Wyeth/RYA.

In the Standard Masters Holland’s Arnoud Hummel also set the standard high winning both the Red flight races, to lie two points ahead of Scott Ferguson (USA), the 2009 title holder who had a solid start with a third and first. Britain’s Nick Harrison’s second and fourth leaves him fifth in the 96 boat division, the championships’ biggest.

Selected quotes:
Adonis Bougiouris (GRE), 1,1 in Apprentice Standard, 2009 champion leading overall:

“ The wind was very nice, I had a great fight with the Australian guy Brett Beyer, who has been four or five times world champion in this category. Today I got two firsts and I got the second first just on the last reach.”
“ The first race I did not have a good start. At the first mark I was about 50 metres back, I gained a lot downwind to lead and then stayed ahead. In the second race I was second all the way around but gaining, gaining, gaining and then just past on the final reach.
We had probably 15-20 knots and very nice waves. I hope we get more wind like that or more because I am used to that but I am certainly not used to the cold. Now it is like winter for me. I am from Syros island beside Mykonos and it is usually very nice there.”
“ I sailed here at the Seniors here and finished 33rd which is not bad for my age and did the Europeans. I was second in the 1998 World Radial Championships, won the 1999 Radial World Champion, raced at the 2000 Olympics in Sydney and finished 15th and then did the Tornado 13th at Worlds. And sailed with Greek Challenge at last year’s Louis Vuitton Pacific Series in the America’s Cup class.”
“I think if the wind continues strong I can hold on to the title. In Greece we have the Meltemi at 15-20knots all the summer, so it was very cold for me.”

Scott Leith (NZL) from Pupuke Boating Club on Auckland’s North Shore, 1,2 leader Apprentice Masters Radial:
“ I am very happy, very happy. Conditions were perfect for me, solid 15-18kts, gusting to 20 knots. It was stronger in the second race. The first race I won by about 45 seconds after being second around the top and at the gybe mark. I was really smoking downwind, sailing deep and getting the waves. Second race I was third around the top mark and lead by the bottom mark. I stayed a bit left on and the other two guys – the French guy got a little right shift and got ahead, but downhill I was just happy to keep the boat upright rather than push too hard and stay happy with second.”
“We had a great squad here last week and I’m quite inspired to be here after them. Andrew Murdoch helps me out from time to time and finished third here. I am a little disappointed that the Aussie guy who won here last year is not here, but there is some great competition here. I am happy in anything more than five knots. I don’t like the drifters.”

Steve Cockerill (GBR) 1,1 from Lovedean Hants, leading in Radial Masters fleet:
“ This my tenth worlds. Sailing Radials have won four and lost two in the full rig. It was max power sailing last year and I am not very big for a Standard sailor, so I’m back in the Radial. Downwind sailing was taxing for some people today, but I just loved it and did well on that and there was a bit of tide out there. Upwind sailing I am a little bit heavier than I should be so that helps, but we’ll see when it is lighter towards the end of the week. Time will tell.”
“I know here reasonably well. I did an Olympic campaign in the 470 we sailed here a bit. When I started sailing the Laser in 1993 I did a bit here, and we sailed a lot of Olympic indicators here, so I do know it.”
“I actually sail at Stokes Bay just up the road, so the waves and the tidal situation on this bit of the coast I understand completely. What is interesting here is the bit that comes out of all the channels at the same time.”
“There are not many places in the UK could cope with this event. It is a big event. For all the guys here who drive desks at work and find an hour or two a day to stay fit, they love sailing against other it is great.”
“ It does not matter where you finish in the fleet it is the people that you meet. I leant a boat from Finland before and went cross country skiing there at Christmas. I leant a boat to a guy from the Dominican Republic and had two weeks training in the sun in Cabarete in August. It’s not the money you have, it is who you know and how you can help out.
Now I have a fantastic bunch of friends around the world.”

Carlos Eduardo Wanderley (BRA), from Sao Paulo Brasil 2,2 in the Radial Masters fleet, second overall:
“ I got two seconds. I have not practiced very much this year and so I am happy with that. The wind was good but too many waves because we don’t get waves like this. We sail on the lake inside Sao Paolo and on the coast there. For me I have been working too hard to do enough sailing. This is my third worlds, I took third in Fortaleza and last year won in Canada. This is English weather, right?”
“Upwind the right side seemed to go better. For me the puffs are coming stronger from the right. But Steve Cockerill is a little bit faster upwind. And Downwind.”

Wolfgang Gerz (GER), 2,3 today, past Finn Gold Cup winner and defending Grand Master champion:
“ I had a second and a third but Peter Vessella looks good and had two firsts. Twice I did not have very good starts, all I could do was make the best out of it. I am not disappointed but I am not happy. Tomorrow has to be better.


Greece’s defending Standard Apprentice Masters champion Adonis Bougiouris (GRE). Image copyright Paul Wyeth/RYA.

Laser Masters World Championships:
Standings after two races:


Radial Apprentice (35-44yrs)
1 Scott Leith (NZL) 3pts,
2 Jean Christophe Leydet (FRA) 4pts,
3 Matthias Bruehel (GER) 7pts.

Radial Masters (45-54yrs)
1 Steve Cockerill (GBR) 2 pts,
2 Carlos Eduardo Wanderley (BRA) 4pts,
3 Torbjorn Jonsson (SWE) 9tps,

Radial Great Grand Masters (Over 65)
1 David Schmidt (NZL) 4pts,
2 Keith Wilkins (GBR) 4pts,
3 Peter Seidenburg (USA) 9pts,

Standard Apprentice:
1 Adonis Bougiouris (GRE) 2pts,
2 Brett Beyer (AUS) 4pts,
3 Orlando Gledhill (GBR) 4pts,

Standard Master:
1 Arnoud Hummel (NED) 2pts,
2 Scott Ferguson (USA) 4pts,
3 Andy Roy (CAN) 5pts.

Standard Grand Master:
1 Peter Vessella (USA) 2pts,
2 Peter Sundelin (SWE) 5pts,
3 Wolfgang Gerz (GER) 5pts.

Laser Masters Worlds