Wednesday 2 March 2011

BWR: Jean Ferrat chante Potemkine

Given the acts of piracy on board GAES, and now Loick Peyron saying that it is war (with Mapfre) on board Virbac Paprec 3, we thought that Barcelona World Race sailors might like a rendition of "Potemkine" by Jean Ferrat, complete with a feisty video...

La scène de la rébellion du Cuirassé Potemkine sur la chanson de Jean Ferrat "Potemkine":


Rough translation of the lyrics into English, found on YouTube:

1) Would you have a big grudge against me If I tell you of a world. That sings deep inside me to the ocean sound. Would you have a big grudge against me if the revolt grumbles. In this name that I say to the wind of the four winds. My memory sings quietly, Potemkine.

2) They were sailors hardened to discipline. There were sailors, they were warriors.  And the hearts of a sailor to the big wind is strongly marked.  They were sailors on a big battleship. On the waves I imagine you, Potemkine.

3) Would you hold a big grudge against me If I tell you of a world. Where the one who is hungry is going to be shot. The crime is preparing and the sea is deep. In front of the mutineers the riflemen rise up. It's my brother that is being murdered, Potemkine.

4) My brother, my friend, my son.  You won't shoot on those who suffer and complain. My brother, my friend, I'm making you our chief.  Sailor don't shoot other sailor. They turned their rifles, Potemkine.

5) Would you hold a big grudge against me If I tell you of a world. Where we punish like this those who want to give death. Would you hold a big grudge against me If I tell you of a world. Where we're not always on the side of the strong.  Tonight I love the navy, Potemkine.

Jean Ferrat chante Potemkine - YouTube
Barcelona World Race